Wednesday, January 7, 2009

SUMMER SERENADE


When Gerry and Louise (aka Lucy) came looking for a place to stay I had no idea what pleasure their company would bring me. I guessed correctly that the case contained a classical guitar (“Flamenco”, he gently chided me); I didn't realise that Gary Fane, as he is known inter-nationally, would produce such sweet songs.
In the three days they stayed with me I listened raptly to the words and music and learned about the days when he played with the London Philharmonic Orchestra (ja, Bru!) and during those heady days he created a CD entitled Horoscope, an ‘80s musical interpretation of the zodiac (Google his name for the Rapidshare download or go Red Bullet, the recording company’s site).
His rendition of that wonderful John Denver oldie, Annie’s Song, clearly has great meaning for this happily married (“For over forty years now”) couple and as they sung harmoniously, they looked deeply and fondly into each other’s eyes.
I get the feeling I shall be seeing them again - perhaps when they visit South Africa for the fifth time. I hope so because I need to repay them in kind for the exquisite shawl they bought for me at See-Plasie Koffie- en geskenkwinkel: gold dolphins on a black background. The Dutch have always been wonderful visitors; the Veens were exceptional.

No comments: