Sunday, January 23, 2011

KISSING COUSINS


You can imagine my surprise when a voice on the other end of the line identified herself as Debbie Pallister, eldest daughter of my father's brother and thus my cousin.
Gerald and Debbie had travelled to Cape Town to attend their younger son Kyle's wedding and took the opportunity of contacting me.
I'd never met my two cousins (LIndsay being her younger sister) and jumped at the chance. So off to the city where we hugged for the first time - and it felt like we'd known each other for yonks.
Gerald is headmaster at the school at the sugar cane plantation known as Hippo Valley Estate in the southeastern corner of Zimbabwe, Chiredzi being the closest identifiable town, where Debbie teaches the little ones ("I spend the day playing", she claims).
The time sped by and we parted company with the promise that I will seriously consider returning to the country of my birth to meet Lindsay and Graham and link up with the Pallisters once again.
My surviving relatives have just swelled to three and as I get older I realise just how important family is. Thank you, Debbie and Gerald, for giving me these two hours of great pleasure ... and, oh yes, congrats. on Kyle's marriage.

No comments: