Monday, February 21, 2011

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BIRDS AND THE BEES, REALLY



Why do I operate a guest house? What's in it for me, you may well ask? Besides the obvious income, there's the joy of knowing you've made visitors content, if not downright happy - something I really strive to do.
But for me it's also the gratification of learning something new every day - and this morning was one of those back-to-school moments.
Siegfried and Trudi, who stayed here with Hansruedi in January, returned with her Mom, Petro and friend Mari-Louise and over breakfast I was taxed with "What's the difference between swallows, swifts and martins?"
Now, I've often been called Mrs Reuter or Mrs Yellow Pages but, trust me, it's not because I have all the answers. Nyet, nay and not at all! It's just that I know where to find the answer. So quicker than you could say boo to a goose I was on the blower to avifaunal ace Trevor Hardaker (Don’t believe me? Go to www.zestforbirds.co.za for a right royal treat.) whose succinct reply was, “Swifts have no back toe so can’t perch”. And there you have it, dear followers of my Blog.
Anymore brain-teasers you want to throw my way this bright Monday morn?

No comments: