Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN


That's what my dearly beloved said when we moved here 14 years ago. Instead I got strandveld in all its glory, particularly pretty at this time of the year when the spring flowers are out. But look at this! I have a slightly different variety of the garden gnome: a southern right whale that came visiting this afternoon at 14:26 whose sudden blows and snorts had me hurtling over the furniture to get a good look.

I love it when city slickers ask me, "So what do you do with yourself here all day?" Folks, this is why I moved ot the West Coast - to gorge myself on gargantuan creatures of the sea, to revel in their exquisite size and to marvel at the adroitness in a bay not know for its depth. I wonder whether that groan, those growls are perhaps the pleasure it gets as it scratches its great underbelly along the seabed. Methinks so.

You may not be here to share it with me; you can certainly do so by enjoying this pic I took from the deck.

1 comment:

Charlie Wood said...

Oh dear, that's just what Cindy wanted to see...NOT!! Flowers and whales, she's not a happy bunny. See you next week.