Monday, October 3, 2011

DIVINE INTERVENTION OR WHAT?


My day was touched by the gentle impact of a gentle man in the form of Father Elsey. Knock-knock (or truth be told, ring-ring) at my door and there stood this larger-than-life bearded priest ("I'm of the bell's and smells discipline," he claims) from Devon who has just spent three months filling in for the Calitzdorp ngk Dominee who took a sabbatical allowing Father Ed time to explore the port capital of the world - you got it - in between the 92 recitals he played during that time.

I was to learn so much from him during his 48 hours' sojourn here and, no, he doesn't mind at all that I write openly about his gayness (or is it gaiety?), his having come out six years ago and very comfortable with himself.

I was so comfortable and charmed by this intellectual and his bonhomie, not to mention his zest (dare I say lust?) for life. We spent quality time swapping lifestyles (mine is much more mundane) and sharing a meal at Beira Mar for which Father generously paid - sorry there were no whales!

As he wrote in my visitor's book (under the column of "How did you find us?") 'Chance/Divine'. A bigger and better man knows why ours paths should have crossed and I am all the richer for it.

No comments: