Saturday, October 15, 2011

MONKEYING WITH A GOOD WRITE IS PURE MONKEY BUSINESS


I don’t know about you, but trying to follow the Dewani case has been jolly hard work, what with the hype from spin publicist Max Clifford and the surmisations and suspicions voiced by a polarised public. And so it was with delight that I learned that long-time friend Mike Nicol's book, Monkey Business, was to be launched at the Open Book Fair last month.

Personally I think journalist Zelda Venter lost the plot when she wrote (in her review of the book) of ‘being disappointed’. Read the full review at http://www.iol.co.za/tonight/books/no-new-light-shed-on-anni-s-murder-1.1156402

Layman I might be, but I couldn’t but fail to gasp at how Mike has mastered the chain of events – and in the short while it took him to put it all together. Had I the time – or, for that matter, the inclination - I still wouldn’t have known where to search to read about this fascinating case and yet this author has been able to capture the intrigue in brilliant chronological order - and probably from the confines of his office.

I’m sorry the book is only a centimetre thick and, yes, I wait expectantly for the case to come to trial. Who knows that we mere mortals won’t have the benefit of reading the sequel which captures all that. Certainly the book is not ‘premature’; Mike has just been very resourceful in seeing a gap and taking it. It smells of professional jealousy that a journalist didn’t see it first.

No comments: