Saturday, July 12, 2008

SNOW CLAD CEDERBERG


At the best of times I reckon I’ve got the greatest workstation in the world. If I’m not gazing down onto waterbirds in the rock pools below then I am looking at the cavorting of Heaviside’s dolphins at play in the bay. In fact, it makes for difficult concentration, especially when out of the corner of my eye I spot this magnificent sight: to the east the Cederberg, wrapped in a blanket of snow.
This wilderness reserve is a rock climber’s delight. The mere names of the formations – Wolfberg Cracks, Maltese Cross and Stadsaal Caves – tell a story, one of the climbers who ventured there and discovered a treasure trove of fynbos, a geological wonder.
This is the view I have today across Britannia Bay and Golden Mile and, you know what? My work for the day has just been stowed away!

No comments: